Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 13:31:32 -0400
> Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 12:29 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org>
>> wrote:

>>> it's actually worth it.
>>> more user-spread FUD or however you like to call it on the topic
>>> than I'm not sure if *devs* are actually working on that. I believe
>>> there's
>> Perhaps not official Gentoo devs, but users taking development
>> initiative to solve a problem in userland. I'm not an official Gentoo
>> dev, either, but I think it'd be a very bad idea to discourage or
>> ridicule such initiative. Someone putting in that much effort in light
>> of all the information already available isn't something that should
>> be taken lightly!
> I don't want to offend anyone but let's be honest: people start many
> initiatives, and they are not always right, no matter how many effort
> is put. I don't want to discourage it but sometimes I dislike
> the importunity accompanying it.
>
> Users are free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't harm
> the rest of users. And I'm afraid that too much enthusiasm over mdev
> will actually cause a number of users to end up being disappointed
> that one or another magic requiring udev no longer works.

User perspective follows:

What I don't like about the way Walter, mdev, is being treated is this.
People say that if you don't like the way udev is going, WRITE CODE.  If
you are not going to write code, don't complain about udev.  Then
Walter, I think I got the name right, comes along and comes up with a
alternative for udev that seems to work well for the people using it.
Then people complain because he is actually stepping up and WRITING
CODE.  Well, it seems a person can't win on this.

Some, no names mentioned, need to make up their minds.  Either listen
when people don't like the way things are going or let people write code
to have a alternative to whatever people are not liking and don't
complain because people are stepping up and doing something about it,
for example, writing code.

As to mdev not being as feature rich as udev, well, some people don't
need the features udev has and I don't think anyone is saying mdev is
the same as udev.  It even says on the wiki that there are some
situations where it should not even be tried because it is known to not
work.  Given that, if a person tries to use mdev to replace udev in a
situation where it is known not to work, then they should read more
closely.  It's not Walters fault, it's the person in the chair.

Now, since Walter didn't like the way things are going, can he write
code and be left in peace to do so?  Maybe have a little bit of support
while he is doing it?

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!