Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto posted on Sat, 08 Sep 2012 18:05:07 +0000 as
excerpted:

> Starting next week, new stages will have make.conf and make.profile
> moved from /etc to /etc/portage. This is a change in the installation
> defaults, that will only affect new installs so it doesn't affect
> current systems.
>
> Current users don't need to do anything. But if you want to follow the
> preferred location, you may want to take the chance to move the files in
> your system(s) to the new location.

While the following reads somewhat smoother to me, maybe it's /just/ me,
so another opinion would be appreciated.  The current wording is already
clear, so just going with it is fine with me.

Starting next week, new stages will locate make.conf and make.profile in
/etc/portage instead of /etc.  This change to the installation defaults
only affects new systems and both locations will continue to be
supported. Whether you wish to move the files to their new /etc/portage
location is therefore entirely up to you.