Zac Medico posted on Sun, 09 Sep 2012 18:34:09 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 09/09/2012 05:59 PM, Duncan wrote:
>> To your knowlege (IOW have you tested) having /etc/make.conf either a
>> symlink to /etc/portage/make.conf or a simple one-line "source
>> /etc/portage/make.conf"?
>
> I've tested them both just now, and they work for me. Why wouldn't they?

Back then, portage complained.  It's been awhile ago and I didn't write
it down, but I seem to remember something about double inclusion.
However, it's quite possible that was my diagnosis, not portage's
complaint.  I just returned to /etc/make.conf, because with both that
and /etc/portage/make.conf portage had problems, and with /etc/portage/
make.conf only, something else didn't work.

But as I said that was way back when I first read about it, probably in
the changelog on my first update after it hit a release, so I'd guess
it's looonngg fixed by now.  Now that you've confirmed it works for you
now, I'll play around with things a bit and file bugs if I see 'em.

As always, thanks. =:^)

(Now back to that kernel 3.6-git bug I just finished bisecting and was
about to file upstream... workqueue merge, commit 63d95a91, crashing in
schedule/core.c on line 1654, FWIW.)