Zac Medico posted on Sun, 09 Sep 2012 14:57:30 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 09/09/2012 02:42 PM, Doug Goldstein wrote:
>> On Sun, Sep 9, 2012 at 3:13 PM, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
>> <jmbsvice...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> This news item was committed.
>>>

>> So the news item was a bit ambiguous on if I wanted to make the change
>> myself to the new locations when I could actually make the change.
>> Current portage supports it? Or is their a new version coming which I
>> would need?
>
> It's been supported in stable portage since portage-2.1.9.24 stabilized
> in November/December 2010:

Zac,

To your knowlege (IOW have you tested) having /etc/make.conf either a
symlink to /etc/portage/make.conf or a simple one-line
"source /etc/portage/make.conf"?

Back when I first became aware of the movement toward
/etc/portage/make.conf, I'd guess in late 2010 or early 2011 given your
dates, I tried both setting only /etc/portage/make.conf, which failed due
to some third party utility (which I'd hope has been fixed now but I've
not tested it), and making /etc/make.conf a simple symlink/source, which
caused portage some indigestion.

So I'm wondering if the latter problem's now (tested) fixed, and people
can use the new location but still put either a compatibility symlink or
source at the old location to keep old scripts and the like working,
without portage suffering the indigestion at the prospect that it did at
least way back then.

If you haven't tested it and want me to, then file a bug if necessary,
just say so, but it'd be nice to know whether you believe it to be
working now, before I go try it again.