On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:32 PM, Anthony G. Basile <bluen...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Please comment.  If it gets systematized enough, it can be a guide to future
> devs too.

Hi, what is the level of the students, what are the prerequisites
(i.e., have they already seen some systems programming using C?), and
how many weekly hours? Have you already designed some assignments? I
can think of the following:

1. Create a small makefile-based project with a separate shared
library, an executable, and a man page. Determine run-time and
build-time dependencies. Then convert to autotools, update
dependencies. Do it all on GitHub, with a separate branch for
converting to autotools.

2. Write an ebuild for the project above, maintained in an overlay
(also on GitHub), with sources fetched from GitHub. Add some small
patch to configure.ac in the ebuild. Add USE flags. Add "make check"
support to the build system, test with FEATURES=test. Many
ebuild-related tasks can be easily added (e.g. installing init.d
scripts).

3. Take an old-version ebuild for a project with a known bug, fetch
the relevant git tag, and bisect to find the bug. Prepare a patch,
describe patch submission process.

Wrt. subjects covered, will you cover sandboxing, installing to image
vs. merging to live system, etc.? I would expect students to like such
stuff.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux: http://dee.su/liberte