On Thu, 2012-12-20 at 18:27 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
> The FHS says:
>
>    /var/cache is intended for cached data from applications. Such data
>    is locally generated as a result of time-consuming I/O or
>    calculation. The application must be able to regenerate or restore
>    the data.
>
> Now I wonder: After removal of e.g. the Portage tree from a system, it
> is generally not possible to restore it. (It can be refetched, but not
> to its previous state.)
>
> Same is true for distfiles, at least to some degree. They may have
> vanished upstream or from mirrors.
>
> Maybe /var/lib would be a better choice? It would also take care of
> the issue with fetch-restricted files.

Due to fetch-restricted files, /var/lib does make sense for distfiles.
And of course /var/lib should be used for the default personal overlay
(currently in /usr/local/portage).

But I think that the main portage and overlay checkouts are already
cache-like in the sense that any manual user changes are automatically
overwritten by "emerge --sync" / "layman -S", which the users are
supposed to run on a sufficiently regular basis. So /var/cache does seem
like a reasonable place for them.