Ulrich Mueller schrieb:
>> Now I wonder: After removal of e.g. the Portage tree from a system,
>> it is generally not possible to restore it. (It can be refetched,
>> but not to its previous state.)

Is it required that the _exact_ _same_ _data_ will be regenerated? This
is not the case with most users of /var/cache (like ccache for example).
They only regenerate what is needed so the application continues to work
properly. The ebuilds that are needed for portage functioning are saved
to /var/db/pkg already.

squid cache would be another example, or just about every other Linux
distro's package manager.

> What about /usr/portage/licenses, for example? Some of the licenses
> are required to be present on the system if the corresponding software
> is installed. So users cannot legally remove them.

They are not required for functioning of the system, and a sync will
restore them.

> Should we really put them under /var/cache which suggests that
> everything in there can be wiped?

Yes.

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn