On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Christopher Head <ch...@chead.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2013 14:32:01 -0500
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Sure, I can think of reasons why I would want chromium with -cups, but
>> the whole point is to target the TYPICAL user.  And the context here
>> is servers - how many servers would have chromium installed with
>> -cups?  If anything I'd expect more servers to have CUPS installed
>> than chromium in the first place.
>
> Sorry, I thought the point was to make the base profile “sane but
> minimal”, not to make it server-specific. In that case USE=cups might
> make sense.

We might be talking past each other.  Sane but minimal is the target.

Bottom line is that the question isn't whether a minimal system should
have CUPS installed (that would be an argument for putting it in
@system - ugh!).  The question is whether a minimal/base system should
have the cups USE-flag enabled for packages that actually use it.

And cups is just an example - maybe not a good one.  I just want to
make sure we're not just dropping flags left and right that everybody
and their uncle will either re-enable, or won't notice them being
removed anyway.

Rich