On 14 February 2013 16:55, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina <zeroch...@gentoo.org>wrote:

> On 02/14/2013 04:31 AM, Ben de Groot wrote:
> > Hi guys and girls,
> >
> > We hereby announce the formation of the Graveyard project [1]. It aims
> > to provide users with an overlay for packages removed from portage.
> > Users are expressly invited to partake in this project, to help
> > maintain the graveyard overlay [2]. We will also help organize a
> > central space to host distfiles that are no longer mirrored by Gentoo
> > and have a broken upstream link. We use the #gentoo-dev-help channel
> > on Freenode for coordination, as well as our project space on the wiki
> > [3].
>
> What exactly is wrong with the current cvs attic space? I've salvaged
> old ebuilds and it was a completely painless process.
>
> Things that have been treecleaned were not just haphazardly removed,
> there is typically very good (often security or complete build failure
> related) reasons for this to happen.  Running an overlay of old,
> outdated, unbuildable, security vulnerable software... I know there is
> no formal process for rejecting a gentoo project but even this idea
> makes me want to get council approval for an extension to the gentoo
> project guidelines.
>
> If users want to salvage things from the cvs attic and put them into
> SUNRISE after fixing them up I'm fine with it, but the whole idea of
> this is bad for gentoo developers, bad for gentoo users, bad for gentoo
> image, I just don't see a single advantage to this and so many
> disadvantages.
>
> Please, this needs to not happen.
>
> Thanks,
> Zero
>

> > Please feel free to join us!
> >
> > 1: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/graveyard/
> > 2: https://github.com/gentoo/graveyard
> > 3: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Graveyard

IMO, all these reasons are solved by the statement: "This is why it will be
an OVERLAY and there will be no stable packages even if they were stable in
the tree before masking for removal". Packages that have tons of security
issues or do not build whatsoever will obviously not be added (unless
someone wants to give us a patch or 2 to solve those problems). Sunrise is
the wrong place for stuff that still works. Sunrise is about stuff incoming
to the tree (hopefully eventually) not outgoing from the tree.

The reason for this overlay is for packages like: media-tv/ivtv and
net-wireless/at76c503a which seem to be masked for removal because they're
deprecated and likely still work. Perhaps a user is having problems with
the driver that replaced either of these and is still using th old one
since it works fine for his hardware. There are tons of good reasons to
keep old packages around, yes a few possible bad ones as well, but that's
the case with almost anything.