On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> The number of open bugs doesn't really matter, it's what those bugs
> are that matters -- security bugs, sure, are of a higher priority and
> can be fairly easily detected in bugzilla.

Well, our current treecleaner policy seems to be that if a package
isn't maintained and has any bugs open at all it is fair game.  The
caveat to that is that trivial bugs are grounds for fixing instead of
removals (bad DEPEND atoms, simple-to-fix, etc).  Google the full
policy for details.

I think that a better policy would be rather than having any open
non-trivial bugs we list the sorts of bugs that should be grounds for
removal, such as:

1.  Package does not build in the majority of cases on all archs.
(Unkeywording is the solution for individual archs that are broken, if
not easily fixable.  Not building some of the time isn't grounds for
removal.)

2.  Package has an open security bug.  (Cuneiform is a borderline case
of this - no exploit/CVE but I wouldn't use it on a server being fed
images submitted by strangers.)

3.  Package is blocking another package.  Maintained packages always
take priority over unmaintained ones.

Perhaps there are other cases which should be included, but I think
this covers most of them.  If a package isn't blocking anything else,
doesn't have security problems, and works most of the time, then I
think it should generally be kept.

Rich