On Wed, 22 May 2013 08:53:06 -0400
Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 21/05/13 07:43 PM, Thomas Sachau wrote:
> > [ Snip reasons for why opt-out is bad ]
>
> So why don't we add something to package metadata, to indicate that a
> package is OK to be considered for auto-stabilization?

Package or ebuild or SLOT or what? Please explain what these
metadata.xml entries should look like. Also, since we're working per
ebuild, and not per package, why couldn't we include this in each
individual ebuild? What happens when you've set the variable, tag or
whatever, and then an obscure bug pops up (and you're not CC'd because
the bug appears in a dependent package three branches removed) and
then your robo-call comes in for that ebuild?

It's a neat idea, but the red tape would stretch to Alpha Centauri and
back. IOW, it's hardly maintainable unless you can afford the espresso
machine and all of your spare time. Common sense and proper research
usually cuts that short. Automating CC'ing arch teams would probably
only catch this in a very late stage, if at all in time before an
ebuild is deemed "stable".

     jer