On 5/26/13 1:15 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
I'd suspect this is mostly with the growing irritation of systemd
haters who spawn endless threads about how they hate anything with
'systemd' name in it. Plus the people who try hard to port the mistakes
of OpenRC init scripts to systemd services files.

Here we have a problem, the people that need more flexibility to actually get work done will see that the inflexibility of the unit format will bite them and bite them hard.

A simple example is something fairly easy for a runscript and quite annoying for an unit, multiple instances.

for openrc you can just symlink using a proper pattern and have the initscript figure the right configuration and which user/chroot use to drop the daemon.

for systemd you have to copy and edit since most fields are immutable (some are with special rules).

This is something you tend to use a lot for certain kind of services and is made really easy and uniform in openrc while lsb and freebsd tend to have per-script rules.

I have my limits, and I'd really prefer doing something useful rather
than setting up random things straight, fighting developers and making
sure everything keeps working in a semi-sane way.

Your dedication is commendable, I do appreciate your help in Gentoo a lot even if we can disagree on some decisions.

I know that discussing systemd can get quite annoying since it can easily drift from technical (e.g. my concern regarding dbus) political (systemd as Trojan horse for something else and other strategical concerns), or personal (some people consider Lennart a dangerous/poisonous person) and gets quite easy to mix things up and end up discounting technical concerns by telling that you said this or that just because you hate Lennart.

lu