On Sun, 26 May 2013 13:59:34 +0200
Luca Barbato <lu_z...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 5/26/13 1:15 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > I'd suspect this is mostly with the growing irritation of systemd
> > haters who spawn endless threads about how they hate anything with
> > 'systemd' name in it. Plus the people who try hard to port the mistakes
> > of OpenRC init scripts to systemd services files.
>
> Here we have a problem, the people that need more flexibility to
> actually get work done will see that the inflexibility of the unit
> format will bite them and bite them hard.
>
> A simple example is something fairly easy for a runscript and quite
> annoying for an unit, multiple instances.
>
> for openrc you can just symlink using a proper pattern and have the
> initscript figure the right configuration and which user/chroot use to
> drop the daemon.

You need to name a unit with @ suffix, like openvpn@.service:

    $ cat /etc/systemd/system/openvpn@.service
    [Service]
    Type=simple
    ExecStart=/usr/sbin/openvpn --user openvpn --group openvpn --cd
/etc/openvpn --chroot /var/run/openvpn --config %I.conf

feel free to sprinkle %i (and others) for templating.

and symlink it as you like. openvpn@foo.service (or openvpn@foo)
will be direct analogue to openvpn.foo. (+ foo.service.d with the same(?)
override semantics)

> for systemd you have to copy and edit since most fields are immutable
> (some are with special rules).

    .include /path/to/unit
    OverrideedField = OverridedValue
will not help here, right?