On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 06:55:23 -0700
Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'll take pkgcore (if somehow we can get eapi 5 finished.)

Here's the catch: it's not only about finishing EAPI 5, but also about
implementing the upcoming EAPI 6 changes and fixing any bugs that arise.

For it to be feasible to use it would need an upstream maintainer
for that package; it goes a little further than "let's implement X or
fix Y", the code has to be understood to gain the necessary insight.

If one just hacks in things to make it work, he'll waste efforts.
Think before anyone plans to pick this up, it is quite a commitment.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LegacyCode

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0131177052

I sincerely have interest in working on a heavily refactored PM or a PM
from scratch; but, I can't see myself pick up a big Python project as
I'm not really used to anything beyond average Python scripts. Or maybe
I'm afraid of nothing, I can't tell in advance not knowing its code.

I'll take it into consideration though; there is quite a huge choice
between applying software re-engineering practices (mostly reverse
engineering) to pkgcore, applying those practices (mostly refactoring)
to Portage or implementing an all new PM from scratch.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D