On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:38:56 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:24:27 +0200
> Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I have one; it's great to help make my boot short, but it isn't
> > really a great improvement for the Portage tree. Better I/O isn't a
> > solution to computational complexity; it doesn't deal with the CPU
> > bottleneck.
>
> If the CPU is your bottleneck, Python won't help you. Python's threads
> are fine for making IO easier, but the GIL prevents them from being of
> any use for CPU intensive calculations.
>
> Having said that, the CPU isn't your bottleneck.

That's assuming you would go threaded, but you can also aim for lower
algorithmic complexities; the complexity makes the CPU the bottleneck.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D