On 24/07/13 01:49 PM, Peter Stuge wrote:
> Alex Xu wrote:
>>> Maybe it would make sense to automatically stabilize every v-s kernel
>>> right away?
>>
>> As has been stated, this implies that Gentoo QA has tested the packages
>> and found them to be reasonably safe for use.
> ..
>> Although stable kernels *have* been tested by many people before use,
>> Gentoo QA has *not* (officially) tested them, at least not on every
>> architecture.
>
> I don't think that matters.

If you don't care too much for Gentoo QA, then you are free to run
global ~arch on your system. It works reasonably well (no sarcasm), and
almost always, someone has tested most packages on most architectures.
At least it's been tested by the programmer and maintainer. But that's
how KEYWORDS have always been used in Gentoo, as far as I know.

>> On a technical level, it's not that hard to put
>> "sys-kernel/vanilla-sources" in your package.accept_keywords.
>
> But why should Gentoo users have to do that in order to use v-s?

So they acknowledge that vanilla-sources has not been officially tested
by Gentoo QA. You are free to do the simple procedure once and trust the
kernel community to have done adequate testing.

> If it is intentional to push g-s onto users then it makes good sense -
> but if I were the sys-kernel team I wouldn't bother with g-s at all
> and just make v-s as easily available to users as possible..

I can't comment on that.