On 09/08/13 15:36, hasufell wrote:
On 08/09/2013 12:27 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 5:30 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
On 08/09/2013 09:36 AM, Gilles Dartiguelongue wrote:
It is not a regression if a new version of gnome mrequires systemd
and does not work with OpenRc; it is a design choice.

We are not just talking about random ebuild features here that have been
dropped. It's a MAJOR feature. And it _matters_ for gentoo. So it IS a
_regression_.

How does not supporting OpenRC matter for Gentoo?

The question puzzles me. For one it is
* an implementation of virtual/service-manager which is in @system
* it is the default init system in stage3
* OpenRC is developed by gentoo devs, which means we especially want to
make/keep it a usable tool. If we can't, then there is a regression. It
doesn't matter whose fault it is. This is not about blame.

baselayout-1, then later baselayout-2 and OpenRC were all created because there was an need and no suitable ready solutions systemd however is starting to look like a viable ready solution to switch to it's definately not an regression to switch to actively maintained software, it's more of an improvement because OpenRC has been stalled ever since Roy stopped hacking on it (all work put in by vapier, WilliamH, and others is of course appericiated)
you know it's true if you have been with gentoo enough long