[snip]
>> On 08/08/2013 05:26 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>> OpenRC is just one init system that Gentoo supports.  Gentoo does
>>> not require the use of OpenRC any more than it requires the use of
>>> portage as the package manager.
>>
>> So would you stabilize a package that works with paludis, but not with
>> portage? Ouch. It should probably not be in the tree in the first
>> place, but I that's not what I have in mind here.
>
> This isn't a good example, because the PMS compliance governs over this.

It is an excellent example. If it doesn't work with portage that's a
QA-failure and reason to mask until fixed. As PMS is incomplete and
often not reflecting reality it's not a good baseline.

>> I generally expect packages to work with... now be surprised... BOTH
>> init systems, although I don't like systemd. If it doesn't work with
>> one, then it's a bug. Bugs block stabilization.
>> It is a _REGRESSION_. Ask the arch team about the meaning of
>> regression if unsure.
>
> It's not a regression; actually, it's quite common to drop features
> that can no longer be supported. I don't see us blocking stabilization
> for other cases in the Portage tree where a feature has been dropped.

It is a regression: If it doesn't work with OpenRC I can't use it (same
with portage), and thus it deserves a liberal dose of bugs and masking
if bugs don't get fixed on time.

What makes this situation so difficult is that it's not a single random
package, but one of the bigger desktop environments that has painted
itself into a corner. (Plus an uncooperative upstream, so all the
"blame" gets thrown at the gentoo maintainers from both sides. Awesome
way to destroy crew morale :) )