On Thu, 8 Aug 2013 13:41:02 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > This isn't a good example, because the PMS compliance governs over
> > this.
>
> PMS really only covers the format of the ebuilds themselves, and stuff
> like built-in functions that these rely on - the interface between
> ebuilds and package managers.

As stated in 1.1, it also describes certain aspects of the PM behavior
that is required to support such repository. If a PM misbehaves, it's
not the package that is the problem; but the PM that's problematic.

> [ ... Snipped paragraph about config files. ... ]

This is not what this thread is about; but yes, that is stated in 1.1.

> [ ... Snipped paragraph about Paludis and PM-agnostic utilities. ...]

+1 Agreed.

> We provide sensible defaults, and right now OpenRC is the most
> sensible default.  That doesn't mean that things that require systemd
> or something else can't be stable.

The word "sensible" might not be the right choice; or well, at least
one could argue systemd is not necessarily a less sensible choice.

As far as I am aware there isn't any consensus based reason of this type
blocking stabilization, just some opinions; from what I see it really is
mostly the upgrade path and some minor bugs that are still in the way.

> [ ... Snipped paragraph about "stability" not meaning "useful". ...]

+1 Agreed.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D