On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 14:12:42 +0300
Alon Bar-Lev <alo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 6:51 AM, Patrick Lauer <patr...@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:
> >> not must, but if I choose to run the official supported
> >> configuration, well, then telling me to go to an unsupported state
> >> is quite confusing and sends the wrong signal.
> >>

> > There is no one official supported configuration of Gentoo.  Nobody
> > has to agree to make systemd an official supported configuration,
> > because OpenRC isn't an official supported configuration either.  At
> > least, not in the way that the terms seems to be being used.  There
> > is no policy that requires packages to run when OpenRC is the
> > service manager, and there is no policy that requires packages to
> > supply an OpenRC init.d script.
>
> Gentoo, well up to now, did have a policy

This is missing a reference. Where is this policy?

> that packages should support the baselayout

It appears to support, I don't see a problem here; what's not supported?

> which was single one, no alternatives where formally supported.

This is missing a reference. Where is this stated?

> The fact that OpenRC is now provided as own package (technical bit)
> could not have changed the policy of providing stable coherent
> solution for users.

Whether or not the existence of such policy, it makes me wonder:

Why do you think the discussed solution is not stable or not coherent?

> The fact that someone decided that init system may be virtual means
> nothing if the implications of users and developers were not been
> understood.

Is this really the case? Where do you think it is misunderstood?

> Of course it matches the gnome and affiliated vendor agenda....

Or perhaps Gentoo's meta-distribution agenda to provide choice?

> but for that do we break the entire tree and produce extra load for
> developers who maintain unrelated packages?

What entire tree breakage you are talking about? I see no such thing.

As stated multiple times before, there's no extra load involved; but
I'll enumerate it again, it is easy to add and there are enough people
that are willing to help maintain the systemd part of a package.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D