Am Dienstag, 20. August 2013, 20:19:10 schrieb William Hubbs:

> I'm not really sure what the answer to this problem is, so I want to
> know what the group thinks about how we can handle it.
>
> During the last release of OpenRC, I learned that people *do* run
> production servers on ~arch. I asked about it and was told that the
> reason for this is bitrot in the stable tree.

Oh come on.

"I'm not sure what the problem is" would probably be a better reply.

Stable implies "not so often changing". If you really need newer packages on a
system that has to be rock-solid, then keyword what you need and nothing else.

There are many ways of doing that...
* --autounmask-write (imagine a time before that!)
* echo 'kde-base/*' >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
* ...

My impression is that the stable bitrot has become a lot better. Even Gnome is
updating now... :D

Cheers,
Andreas

--