On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:39 AM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> "The latest distros seemed to be just a bunch of same old stuff.
> Nothing new -- nothing innovative." ~ Larry's frustration. :(
>
> "Then Larry tried Gentoo Linux. He was just impressed. ... He
> discovered lots of up-to-date packages ..." ~ Larry's happiness. :)

I'm not suggesting that we should be backporting bugfixes for two
years.  I'm just suggesting that it isn't a big deal if stable
packages are ~90 days behind in general.  Plus, Larry can always run
the just-released KDE or whatever by accepting ~arch for that package
and get a system where nothing other than KDE is likely to break.

I have nothing against improvements that help us keep up though.  If a
package gets held up because of actual regressions (go read Ago's blog
RE definition of a regression) that is one thing.  If things get held
up simply because nobody notices they're late, that is another.

Plus, the innovation Larry was talking about doesn't mean having
chrome-29 in the tree two days sooner than some other distro.  What is
innovative about Gentoo at its heart is letting the user have his cake
and eat it too, like running a stable system but still getting
chrome-29 near release day.  I do firmly believe that Gentoo is a
great distro for getting neat things done.

Manpower will still always be an issue.  I requested stable on mythtv
on x86 a few weeks ago, but I can completely understand that
client-server apps that typically involve hardware just aren't going
to get turned around on a dime (FYI - if anybody wants to volunteer
test that on x86 feel free to contact me and we can probably work
something out with the x86 arch team together).

Rich