On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> How would you handle progress reporting with this? Something like
> 'capture one thousand lines of updated percentages and merge them with
> a magical pretty printer'? I don't see real gain compared to what we
> have now.

There is no value of sending incremental progress reporting to the log
in the first place.

However, as Alan already pointed out, implementing this isn't trivial.
 You could have a variation on tee that just strips out the junk, but
it isn't really the same as having fit-for-purpose output streams,
perhaps taking as input a highly structured raw log format like xml.
You'll never get that from a diverse set of build systems.

Rich