On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 06:25:14 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> Tom Wijsman posted on Tue, 03 Sep 2013 23:16:11 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> >  Currently the logs aren't
> > search and grep compatible because you have no indication where the
> > last error is and which process has output that
>
> Quite apart from the ansi-color discussion, I've had reasonable luck
> simply searching/grepping for "error" here.  Sure, a lot of packages
> build *error* files of some sort and they're normally
> false-positives, but it does cut down the search space considerably,
> and there's usually only a couple such false-positives to worry about
> per-package.

When you have to go through tenths to hundreds of those on a daily
base, those "couple such false-positives" add up a lot; considering
that stderr indication will get the exact line you actually need.

Directly seeing the error (or even have it on my clipboard, 'cause I am
a bug wrangler whom places it in the summary) is much faster than
having to scroll through the output looking for the right line (and
still having to select and copy it).

In terms of what I need to process, we talk about changing O(n) to O(1).

Oh, then you should know, it's not always "error" it says; other times,
for example when failing tests, it says "fail"; and when you run some
other generation tool (doc, ...) you see something different, sometimes
it is an exception you get to see. Those are all easy to exactly match
with [see subject], but not at all exact with our current logs.

Rather than that we bike shed over something so unimportant as escape
codes; I'd rather see our build logs improve with necessary information,
in a way we can more efficiently deal with them than having to do the
matching completely manually ourselves.

It is in our philosophy to "to design tools and systems that allow a
user to do that work as pleasantly and efficiently as possible, as they
see fit." (user is in this case Gentoo Developer) so I don't see why we
would keep dealing with build log unpleasant an inefficient.

http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/philosophy.xml

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D