On Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:17:49 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > How would you handle progress reporting with this? Something like
> > 'capture one thousand lines of updated percentages and merge them
> > with a magical pretty printer'? I don't see real gain compared to
> > what we have now.
>
> There is no value of sending incremental progress reporting to the log
> in the first place.
>
> However, as Alan already pointed out, implementing this isn't trivial.
>  You could have a variation on tee that just strips out the junk, but
> it isn't really the same as having fit-for-purpose output streams,
> perhaps taking as input a highly structured raw log format like xml.
> You'll never get that from a diverse set of build systems.

Starting lines with something like STDERR:NAME:PID: would be a good
start; xml would indeed be overkill, let's keep it a textual file with
a minimal amount of currently missing information we need to add.

I'm not asking for magically discovering missing details; what I am
asking for, is that details that are known but not currently inserted in
the build log be made available in the build log so we can use them.

Currently, there is no indication which process outputs what on which
stream; so, this often leaves us wonder "is this an actual error" and
"which process did output this" (for less common build utilities).

On top of that, inserting lines for processes that return a non-zero
code would also be neat to have; because then you can obtain which
process fails (NAME:PID pair) and output its last stderr lines.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D