On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 06:06:52 -0600
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But after a person has used Gentoo a while, they figure out what
> process leads to the most stable update process.

Do they? What do you consider a stable update process?

I come across users on a daily basis which

 - haven't upgraded their system lately because they're not good at it;
 - get into unclear slot conflicts locking them out of updates;
 - some build failure disallows their dependency graph from completing;
 - managed to finally update, but don't know about depclean;
 - managed to finally depclean, but don't know about eclean.

It involves a lot of prior knowledge, manual checking and what in order
to be able to update the system; I wouldn't label this "stable", but
rather "dependent on the person updating it" and to some extent even
"dependent on whether the person memorized all the docs and/or gets
helped or get it told in the support channels".

There are some improvements possible in these situations; I'm planning
to discuss some ideas and write some patches where possible, and I
hope other people jump on the bandwagon to help improve user experience.

That doesn't mean I consider it bad or that we need to go hand holding.

> The only way to get a more stable system is to do a emerge -e world
> and update that way.  At least that has been my experience so far.

I have never needed this; I wonder whether there exists an example case
for this, I only see this used when someone changes compiler / flags
and wants to ensure the whole system turns into rice. *

 * http://funroll-loops.info/

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D