On Mon, 04 Nov 2013 14:02:28 -0600
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You are right, it does require prior knowledge and as a user gets that
> knowledge, they likely end up where Alan, Duncan and myself are.  That
> would be emerge -uaDN world.

And from there you can continue; like adding -vt --unordered-display
and the list goes onto get a lot more detail, it can be handy to see
what depends on what such that you don't look at a flat list wondering
where a dependency came from. I haven't looked further at all the more
specific parameters one can pass; but well, surely there's some
objective and/or subjective improvement still possible there.

> I have needed this more than once in the past.  I would run into a
> problem and recompiling the obvious packages didn't correct the
> issue. Doing a emerge -e world would fix the issue.

Usually I debug / troubleshoot it for long enough to avoid that; but
well, yeah, depending on the situation `emerge -e @world` could take
a lot less time. Especially on a new Gentoo install where this might be
more likely to happen as you often change things in the early days...

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D