On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:06:45 +0000
"Robin H. Johnson" <robb...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 04:12:47PM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Please review the following news item. I would prefer committing it
> > as soon as I get an ACK from all the relevant parties since the
> > issue is hitting users pretty hard.
>
> I don't know why nobody looked at a better automatic solution for the
> python-exec issue, but since it's still biting me on systems, and the
> manual solution is annoying, I found a working automatic solution.

Had on mind to have some kind of "if this then that" rules in some
pre-defined file like the profile updates; this would do specific
emerge actions in specific situations (like this case).

But as I saw it more as a hack, I didn't suggest it; it is better to
keep the Portage tree consistent instead, than to add another file that
grows the complexity further. Seems that you have cracked it.

> Add this line to the dev-lang/python-exec ebuilds:
> PDEPEND=">=dev-python/python-exec-10000:$SLOT"
>
> I wrote up the full research of it here:
> http://robbat2.livejournal.com/240335.html

Was wondering why CC missed, but I see you have contacted mgorny on IRC.

> If there are no objections, I'd like to do this to the affected
> ebuilds in a few hours.

It is an improvement and it has been tested on a few systems; I don't
think this is something that would hurt or be irreversible, it reverses
the condition and adds a SLOT to be easier on Portage. It should work.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D