On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensing...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 01/30/2014 02:37 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>> Here's a simple eclass that pretty much just extracts the XDG stuff from
>> the gnome2_environment_reset function.
>>
>> One difference: it creates 3 of the 4 directories under ${HOME} instead
>> of ${T}, just to mimic the default behavior in the XDG basedir spec a
>> bit more closely.
>>
>> Please give a look.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for working on this.
>
> Two thoughts:
>
> 1. Would it be worth consolidating this, fdo-mime.eclass, and some other
> gnome2-utils stuff (eg. gnome2_icon_cache_update) into a larger
> freedesktop eclass?

That sounds like a reasonable idea to me, but I'm not sure I'm the
right person to make that call. I don't maintain many desktop
packages.

If some others chime in saying this would be desirable, I could
certainly work on that. Ideally, I would like the freedesktop
maintainers to agree on any/all functions that should be moved to the
new eclass.

Otherwise, I will stick with the current xdg-basedir eclass and leave
the consolidation work to someone else.

> 2. xdg-basedir-setup -> xdg-basedir_setup is more consistent with other
> modern eclasses, especially if there are additional functions in the future.

Personally, I think that looks stupid. ^_^ Not something I'm going to
fight over if it bothers people though.