On 01/31/2014 04:32 AM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 6:48 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensing...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>> On 01/30/2014 02:37 PM, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>>> Here's a simple eclass that pretty much just extracts the XDG stuff from
>>> the gnome2_environment_reset function.
>>>
>>> One difference: it creates 3 of the 4 directories under ${HOME} instead
>>> of ${T}, just to mimic the default behavior in the XDG basedir spec a
>>> bit more closely.
>>>
>>> Please give a look.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for working on this.
>>
>> Two thoughts:
>>
>> 1. Would it be worth consolidating this, fdo-mime.eclass, and some other
>> gnome2-utils stuff (eg. gnome2_icon_cache_update) into a larger
>> freedesktop eclass?
>>

> That sounds like a reasonable idea to me, but I'm not sure I'm the
> right person to make that call. I don't maintain many desktop
> packages.
>
> If some others chime in saying this would be desirable, I could
> certainly work on that. Ideally, I would like the freedesktop
> maintainers to agree on any/all functions that should be moved to the
> new eclass.

Speaking as part of KDE team which is part of freedesktop, I would
specifically like to see:

* xdg-basedir-setup
* fdo-mime_desktop_database_update
* fdo-mime_mime_database_update
* gnome2_icon_savelist
* gnome2_icon_cache_update

I understand the GNOME team had some ideas too (I saw a mail but it
didn't end up on the list here), so hopefully they will chime in as well.