On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 7:01 AM, Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If we are trying to consider all possible cases, some filesystems
> may benefit even from compression of very small files (e.g. from
> 140 to 100 bytes) due to packing of multiple small files in the
> same inode. ReiserFS is a good example, but more may be somewhere
> there.

Btrfs also supports file inlining, so every byte saved on small files
does actually help (I believe the data structure that stores the
inlined data doesn't have a fixed record size).  Then again, btrfs
also supports lzo compression and I believe this is fairly widely
used, so I'm not sure that the impact of not compressing small files
will be felt.

I don't think ext4 supports inlining, but I see some discussions of
attempts to add it.

For VERY small files I would think that overhead would become an issue.

Unless we have a bunch of 30-byte man pages I'd think that both
simplicity and some potential for utility would lead us to use the
best algorithm possible.

Rich