Am Dienstag, 13. Mai 2014, 15:42:11 schrieb Ulrich Mueller:

> Compression for very small files was systematically studied by vapier
> in bug 169260, which led to the current threshold of 128 bytes. Files
> smaller than that "usually don't compress at all".

As long as this concerns manpages (where the code handles transparently both
formats) this is fine.

However, I'm not so happy with a "semi-random" compres/dont compress decision
for other files. Maybe some program expects a certain filename to display a
README? If there is a clear-cut decision, then the code can be adapted, but if
the portage behaviour changes as soon as the file grows over a size limit,
this is difficult...

Not so important though, since this seems to be a more academic problem.

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer (council, kde)