> However, I'm not so happy with a "semi-random" compres/dont compress
> decision for other files. Maybe some program expects a certain
> filename to display a README? If there is a clear-cut decision, then
> the code can be adapted, but if the portage behaviour changes as
> soon as the file grows over a size limit, this is difficult...

For any files that are installed in /usr/share/doc you cannot assume
anything about the compression scheme. It also depends on user
configuration which is not accessible from inside an ebuild.

If it must be ensured that a file is not being compressed or that a
certain program for compression is used, then call "docompress -x" for
that file, and (if necessary) compress it with that program.

Ulrich