On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 15:23:15 +0200
Jeroen Roovers <j...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Will bug #332823 and its ilk somehow be mitigated? Emerging glibc with
> -fstack-protector still leads to similar problems. There doesn't
> currently seem to be a bug report about this that isn't marked INVALID.

Bugzilla seems to be down so I can't look up the bug, but I doubt it's a
problem since you can't build glibc with -fstack-protector.

glibc/files/eblits/common.eblit:
  gcc-specs-ssp && append-cflags $(test-flags-CC -fno-stack-protector)

Previously this was also dependent on `use hardened` so whatever that bug is
about it probably doesn't apply any more.

I've been running the ssp patches here for the last six months and have rebuilt
world a few dozen times with both 4.8 and 4.9 and haven't run into any
problems.  That doesn't mean there aren't any, but that's why we added 4.8.2-r1
half a year ago so people could test it.  Did anyone actually try it out?  I
honestly want to know - if no one is testing masked versions then there's no
point keeping them masked for as long as I usually do.

--
Ryan Hill                        psn: dirtyepic_sk
   gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org

47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E  7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463