On 06/13/2014 14:08, Greg Turner wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> add the strip-flags statement to the ebuild and be done
>> with it
>
> To do it "greenly" we'd obviously want to know the precise surface
> area of the problem and then to correctly express those circumstances
> in eblit code that could stand up to the test of time.  Anyone know
> what exactly /is/ the surface area of the problem?  Already the eblit
> filters the flag iff ( gcc-specs-ssp && test-flags-CC
> -fno-stack-protector )

Does anyone know of an upstream glibc bug on this?  The version referenced
in #332823 is 2.12, which is a bit old.  Does this still happen on 2.19?  I
have to assume that the glibc folks will eventually have to take a look at
this if gcc is going to make SSP default in 4.8.3 and up.  If there is a
patch available for glibc to correct this, that might be the better path.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic