On 18 September 2014 13:01, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> With git a revbump is:
> cp foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
> git add foo-2.ebuild
> git commit
>
> (I left out changelogs, repoman, etc, since there is no change with
> any of these, and I left out syncing the git repo.)
>
> There really is nothing new here.
>
> >  Especially
> > if you need to see the diff between packagename-0.1-r1 and
> > packagename-0.1-r2 ebuilds? Git doesn't do this by default and it
> > will might be a nightmare to compare such revbumps by hand.
> >

> cvs doesn't do anything to compare the contents of different files.
> So, there really is no loss here.

What's more, you can in fact do:

git mv foo-1.ebuild foo-2.ebuild
git commit

and you can still easily tell git to show that as a difference in a log.

Example script to emulate this and example output:
https://gist.github.com/kentfredric/10e93e9aac875e9edb93

( In fact, you don't even have to use 'git mv', as long as you change the
tree state completely, git is smart enough to track most changes )

--
Kent

*KENTNL* - https://metacpan.org/author/KENTNL