On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:13:45AM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
> For stage1 and stage2 the *order* we build packages is relevant.

Is this really true?  The stage1 is being built with ROOT, so it's
only using the seed stage3 packages.  It's hard to have cyclic
dependencies when you're using packages from one root (the seed
stage3) but installing into another (/tmp/stage1root).  Looking
through a stage1 log I see:

  emerge --quiet --oneshot --nodeps --update sys-apps/portage
  …
  emerge --quiet --update --deep --newuse --complete-graph --rebuild-if-new-ver
gcc
  …
  emerge --quiet --usepkg --buildpkg --newuse --oneshot --nodeps
sys-apps/baselayout
  …
  emerge --quiet --usepkg --buildpkg --newuse --oneshot sys-devel/gnuconfig
sys-devel/bison …

The first two are just covering us against serious missmatches between
the package tree and the seed stage3 (and are installed with ROOT=/).
I expect we could handle shoving baselayout into the final emerge
along with the other packages.build stuff.

The logs for stage2 aren't as clear, but looking through the script I
only see:

* A Portage-updating emerge
* The main GCC, binutils, … emerge
* A possible 'emerge --prune sys-devel/gcc'

I'm not sure this is needed at all.  I'll try and find time to build a
stage3 directly from a stage1, and we'll see if it blows up ;).

Cheers,
Trevor