On 03/02/2015 20:02, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2015-02-03, o godz. 18:50:43
> "Jason A. Donenfeld" <zx...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
>
>> If you want ffmpeg-ish features, at all, USE=ffmpeg.
>>
>> If you'd like to use the libav implementation, USE=libav. If you'd prefer
>> to use the original ffmpeg implementation, USE=-libav.
>>

>> This is simple. Why can't we just stick with this?
>
> No, it's not simple. It requires users to read another useless manual
> that doesn't teacj them with anything except for how to solve a very
> specific problem we introduced.

Agreed. I'm a user, and when I say "USE=ffmpeg", I want to get the
actual package called ffmpeg, not something that looks like ffmpeg but
might be a fork. I especially don't want to disable the alternate
package to get the original pre-fork package.

I support the idea of re-defining the USE flags even if it means
once-off temporary pain. That's far better than having to deal with the
existing method forever. Plus, user bug reports will never stop.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com