On 26 May 2015 18:07, Michał Górny wrote:
> Dnia 2015-05-26, o godz. 09:59:50 Thomas Kahle:
> > I maintain a game (games-strategy/freeotion) aside from the games herd.
> >  When users report bugs, they choose the "Games" component and then bugs
> > get auto-assigned to the games alias.  This is also the recommended
> > procedure:
> > https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Project:Games
> >
> > Given our games maintenance rules this seems wrong.  Shouldn't games
> > bugs be wrangled based on metadata like other bugs?
> >
> > I understand that changing this behaviour would create a lot of useless
> > bugwrangling work... so maybe there is a different solution?
>
> I'd say we should reset the default assignee to wranglers. This is once
> again a relict of treating games special for no good reason.

might want to cut out the editorialing.  there's very good reasons for it:
- there's a games component that users have historically rarely used
incorrectly
(e.g. filing non-games related bugs under it, and filing games bugs under
something else)
- historically there have been very few people outside of the games herd that
maintained games packages, and even then, the bug should be assigned to games
and the maintainers cc-ed.

as i already said, we do this for other components/teams as well, so the
handling of games bugs is not unique, both historically and today.  i don't
think changing the behavior makes sense when the majority still should be
assigned to games@.

if you wanted to address a real problem, then the bug i referenced would help
for all packages/herds: http://bugs.gentoo.org/550158
-mike