On 05/28/2015 08:03 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On 26 May 2015 18:07, Michał Górny wrote:
>> Dnia 2015-05-26, o godz. 09:59:50 Thomas Kahle:
>>> I maintain a game (games-strategy/freeotion) aside from the games herd.
>>>  When users report bugs, they choose the "Games" component and then bugs
>>> get auto-assigned to the games alias.  This is also the recommended
>>> procedure:
>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Project:Games
>>>
>>> Given our games maintenance rules this seems wrong.  Shouldn't games
>>> bugs be wrangled based on metadata like other bugs?
>>>
>>> I understand that changing this behaviour would create a lot of useless
>>> bugwrangling work... so maybe there is a different solution?
>>
>> I'd say we should reset the default assignee to wranglers. This is once
>> again a relict of treating games special for no good reason.
>
> might want to cut out the editorialing.  there's very good reasons for it:
> - there's a games component that users have historically rarely used
> incorrectly
> (e.g. filing non-games related bugs under it, and filing games bugs under
> something else)

People have frequently filed incorrect bugs, especially regarding
overlays like gamerlay. You probably haven't noticed though.

> - historically there have been very few people outside of the games herd that
> maintained games packages, and even then, the bug should be assigned to games
> and the maintainers cc-ed.

Since the games lead is inactive, this is not even true anymore. It
becomes more common to maintain games packages outside of the games
herd, especially since the council does support this.