On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 6:17 AM, Panagiotis Christopoulos
<pchr...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> you can subscribe to gentoo-embedded mailing list and ask there, as your
> product
> is embedded. Also, man make.conf and search for CONFIG_PROTECT. If I
> understood
> you correctly, it may be what you need.

That list is certainly a  a good place if it is active, but I get the
impression that he wants to package/manage his config files in some
way.  That is, install package foo, and then automatically get his
config files for foo.

Short of going to a true config management system, I'd consider just
having a tarball/etc full of config files that you unpack after you've
set up your system (or clone it from a git repo or whatever).  If you
have config files for packages you didn't install it isn't a big deal
- they just use up a few inodes, and if you install the packages later
the CONFIG_PROTECT settings will prevent them from being overwritten.

A portage-based alternative is to stick them all in a package(s)
(which will generate collision warnings, and since it would respect
config protect it would mean you have to merge in all the changes), or
fork all the ebuilds.  I just don't think portage is really meant as a
full-fleged configuration management tool.

Also, if you're doing lots of these installs you might want to look at
a true config management tool like ansible or puppet/chef.  That could
take care of all the installation as well as the configuration, and
could be tied into portage.

--
Rich