On Thu, 2015-07-23 at 08:47 -0700, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 07/23/2015 12:46 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > On Wed, 2015-07-22 at 19:47 -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> > >
> > > Sent from an iPhone, sorry for the HTML...

> > > ..AND have been modified.  IIRC if the hash of the config files match
> > > what they were when the package
> > > was
> > > previously emerged, then the files are updated aren't they?
> > >
> > > I expect that this is fine in the situation described, but it's worth
> > > knowing that a config file left
> > > unmodified may be replaced with a different vanilla config file later on.
> >
> > Sure, but what if I need to change a conf file in an installed system? Or
> > rebuild a a system from scratch?
> > The user only runs a one SW update command to update an installed system in
> > the field and cannot edit a
> > bunch
> > of files too. Especially when there are hundreds of systems sitting in
> > remote locations.
>
> If you use the profile-bashrcs profile-formats setting [1], then your
> profiles can use package.bashrc to define post_src_install and/or
> INSTALL_MASK to remove unwanted config files from upstream packages.
> Then you can easily replace the upstream config files with config files
> installed by your own configurations installed by your own ebuilds.

Finally getting back to this after lots of distractions.
I cannot get profile-formats  = profile-bashrcs to work.
I have in metadata/layout.conf:
  masters = gentoo
  profile-formats = portage-2 profile-bashrcs
then in profiles/tmv3-target-overlay/profile.bashrc:
  INSTALL_MASK=xxxx
Doing portageq envvar INSTALL_MASK just yields an empty line
I guess I am missing something here?