Dnia 2015-08-11, o godz. 09:56:55
Dmitry Yu Okunev <dyoku...@ut.mephi.ru> napisał(a):

> Hello.
>
> I'm not a gentoo-dev, so sorry if I shouldn't express my thoughts with
> my lame English here. Please tell me if it's so.

> >> 1. One line and 35 chars are certainly more readable than four lines
> >> and 140 chars.
> >
> > Character counts are completely irrelevant to readability. Visual space
> > is. And in this case, exhibit A (also known as wall of digits) is more
> > likely to get people confused.
>
> I think it's just individual preference. No sense to argue this. Just
> everybody should consider that there exists another position on this
> question.
>
> However I want to add an other argument:
>
> 1a. It's easier to parse the "Bug:" header is there only bug IDs
> (without URLs).

What if there are different bug trackers involved? We sometimes note
upstream bugs, other distro bugs, pull requests...

> And is there any guarantee that URL format won't be changed in future
> (that everybody won't be have to rewrite their parsers). I mean not
> "near future", but "any long future".

I doubt it can change *without* changing the bug tracker software.
And then, old IDs will no longer be relevant. In fact, since the URLs
are Bugzilla-specific it will allow us to ensure better compatibility
if we start numbering bugs from 1 again.

There's URL and there's URI. Even if URL is no longer valid, it will
still be a valid URI. It will still allow us to uniquely identify
the bug report.

> >> 2. Strings are read from left to right (at least in English), thus
> >> having most important information last on the line is not
> >> convenient.
> >
> > This is not literature. Keys usually precede values, and namespaces
> > precede namespaced identifiers.
>
> A commit-comment is not a source code. It's an ordinary text (like
> "literature").

Literature is a long continuous text which you read left-to-right,
and usually without going back. This is short text which you read
randomly, possibly going back and forth, and scanning for specific
details.

> >> We should not adjust our ecosystem for closed and proprietary
> >> solutions like github.
> >
> > URLs are not github invention. Localized bug numbers are local Gentoo
> > non-sense. So should we adjust it to ignore the rest of the world and
> > expect everyone to create custom hackery just to be able to see a bug
> > report?
>
> You can use header "Gentoo-Bug:" (instead of "Bug:") and explain in
> documentation ways to parse that.

So you're suggesting it's better to invent a custom format and tell
people how to handle it, rather than use a commonly-supported format?

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny