On 8/11/15 10:19 AM, hasufell wrote:
On 08/11/2015 04:10 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:01:05 +0200
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

Dnia 2015-08-11, o godz. 15:52:16
Patrice Clement <monsie...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):

Hi there

According to
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Branching_Model,
"there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific
branches etc". As far as I understand, it means I can go and create
my own branch on the main repository and push it and it gets spread
all over the place. Is that correct?

Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this decision?

Truth to be told, I kinda dislike the fact any developer can do
this.
As long as it's used with caution, I don't see a problem.
Then we should define 'caution' I think :)

I would not say "caution" so much as good judgment. The first example that came to mind was working with the profiles which crosses many directories and files. In the past when I did restructuring to the hardened profiles, I tested by using a branch of the hardened-dev overlay. It was annoying and I would do a bind mount over /usr/portage/profiles and had to rebase manually. A test branch of the the main tree which could get rebased and eventually merged back would make the workflow so much better. Another example was when we revitalized the selinux policies. There were hundreds of commits to be done. A branch here that got merged back would be ideal.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]