On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 11:11:43 -0400
Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 11/08/15 10:01 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Dnia 2015-08-11, o godz. 15:52:16 Patrice Clement
> > <monsie...@gentoo.org> napisał(a):
> >
> >> Hi there
> >>
> >> According to
> >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Branching_Model,
> >>

> "there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific
> branch es
> >> etc". As far as I understand, it means I can go and create my own
> >> branch on the main repository and push it and it gets spread all
> >> over the place. Is that correct?
> >>
> >> Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this decision?
> >>
> >> Truth to be told, I kinda dislike the fact any developer can do
> >> this.
> >
> > As long as it's used with caution, I don't see a problem. Of course
> > it would be bad if everyone pushed branches for any minor change.
> > However, if there is a long-term work going on a branch, I don't
> > see a problem with keeping it public.
> >

> Examples in particular I can think of for something like this being
> useful would be for, say, major EAPI-bump-related feature
> implementations (ie, EAPI5 and slot-operators/subslots), or major
> across-tree impementation changes like what we saw with the
> multilib-eclass porting.
>
> These are large projects touching most if not all ebuilds, that a
> great many developers would or should be involved in.  Something like
> this could be done in a separately hosted repo instead of in the main
> gentoo repo, but then all developers would need to subscribe to this
> other repo, while having it in a branch in the main one i think would
> make it easier for everyone to get involved once they're ready, and
> would still allow the changes to stay out of the master branch until
> the project is ready to launch.

For me, this is actually a reason to prohibit it :)

EAPI bumps should be done package by package, not at a major scale:
otherwise, let's just scrap EAPI entirely and update the API as we see
fit with p.masked package managers :)

multilib eclasses conversions should also be done one by one to be done
properly (otherwise using multilib-portage is probably a better idea)
and each conversion touches one package (two if you count emul-*).

Big changes that that go in feature branches and are merged in one pass
are, from my experience, way too much prone to errors. Did anyone ever
try to review a merge commit?