On Wed, 19 Aug 2015 17:25:51 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 3:09 PM, Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> >
> > It does not other the the metadata.dtd file it checks for updates
> > and updates itself with.  But that is very likely to change with the
> > rewrite I have in progress (albeit slowly).  I have also seriously
> > been contemplating splitting off it's release from the main portage
> > package.
> >

> Now I remember the conversations.  Having repoman rules at the
> repository level, local system level, and a few others (I forget where
> the thread was).  Overlays can have their own rules, and so on.  It
> doesn't make sense to update portage every time there is a new QA
> policy.

EXACTLY!

There will still need to be occasional releases due to the need for
additional or changed code.  But for trivial changes like deprecating
an EAPI or adding a new eclass,...  That is all data it can easily
download or even get within the git/rsync tree.  Then just iterate over
the various entries.  There will be no need for a new release.
--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen>