On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 8:13 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 09/10/2015 02:03 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
>>
>> Suppose you want to run on a non-embedded system with limited RAM and the
>> ability to choose means you can use one of the two libraries
>> exclusively, thus eliminating the need to load the other library?
>> Being able to control what libraries are in use is a key feature of
>> Gentoo, IMO.
>>

> Any reference that gtk3 has a higher memory footprint?

gtk2+gtk3 in RAM at the same time has a higher memory footprint than
either one alone.  If any package uses one or the other, it will end
up being loaded into RAM, so there is potentially value in using one
of them exclusively.

I'm not suggesting that package maintainers should be forced to
support both whenever possible.  I just don't think they should be
discouraged from doing so.

--
Rich