Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 08:13:48 -0400 as excerpted:

> USE=gui or something like that if the main effect is to have a gui or
> not.
>  That is the sort of thing that SHOULD go in make.conf or in a profile.
> If disabling gtk makes it a console-only application then use the gui
> flag.

I like the general proposal, but since it's going to council, can we try
to kill another bird with the same stone?  This USE=gui helps...

Wayland's coming, and to the extent that USE=X has previously indicated a
GUI, much like USE=gtk and USE=qt indicating the same thing, we're going
to have problems.

Can we make USE=gui the generic policy for that, and deprecate more
specific forms for choosing /any/ gui, so they can be used for choosing
/which/ gui?

Then of course ordain both X and wayland USE flags for choosing specific
gui platform, like gtk and qt did at their level traditionally.

The question then remains whether ncurses, etc, should be treated as a
gui. Maybe make mention of that one way or the other in the policy as
well.