hasufell posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 22:34:04 +0200 as excerpted:

> USE flags in gentoo are the best and the worst thing at the same time.
> They are also mostly the main reason people don't like gentoo, because
> USE flags are (for todays situation) pretty much not an appropriate
> pattern to reflect real-world configuration. To be more precise... USE
> flags are first-class citizens and there is only one layer of them.

I agree with the one-layer problem, but just to say, without something
like USE flags, despite their single-layer-problem, I'd not be using
gentoo.  Perhaps better can be done, but in the absence of better at the
moment, for better or worse, USE flags do get the job done, and I'd hate
to be without either them or an at least equally (if not more) powerful
replacement.