On 20.09.2015 18:57, hasufell wrote:
> On 09/20/2015 06:47 PM, Manuel Rüger wrote:
>>>
>>> That's not possible, because in order to introduce the USE flag, we have
>>> to break the dep-graph on ~arch temporarily (for 'libressl' USE flag
>>> only ofc), because of circular deps.
>>>
>>> I am working on restoring it now. This does not affect stable branch at
>>> all and no one who is not using 'libressl' USE flag (which is
>>> practically impossible currently).
>>>

>> Yet the way you execute your plan now violates several devmanual
>> policies. Is there any reason for that rush?
>>

> Any reason to bother me? There have been several threads about libressl
> and the overlay has been up for more than one year I think. If you have
> a suggestions, say it.

There has been an ongoing discussion after you announced your plan.
Instead of getting your suggestion actually reviewed and probably
improve your plan on a further iteration, you're creating accomplished
facts.

>>> If you have useful comments regarding the transition, please speak up.
>>>

>> I remember you being one of the devs who considered code reviewing as a
>> useful tool.
>> Why don't you add a pull request to Gentoo's github mirror and let other
>> devs review and ack it there?
>>

> Because then I could simply give up with ~550 packages, where for most
> of them the change is a two-liner in RDEPEND. It is common in gentoo to
> not ask every single maintainer for tree-wide changes. The python herd
> does that too.

What about the packages that are not part of "most"? Some include
patches, that haven't seen any testing by their downstream maintainers.
See 1fbc7d68335e35af898606f1dfdaedf9bf6bea14 or
9c9eff93fe71c5b446df8367d69c407d62811b05.

> If I don't know how to do something or if the changes are non-trivial,
> then I will definitely open a bug/PR.
>
> Again: this all happens in unstable arch and practically effects no one,
> because people cannot effectively enable the USE flag yet.

And after you're done, people will argument: "Should we really change
500 packages again?"
This renders any further discussion redundant and is not how an open
development process should look like.

- Manuel